- mtn can not merge. Forcing me to manually delete files in one copy to do a
merge is not acceptable.
- mtn has not the concept of short-lived branches (e.g. deleting their
existence once done), mtn suspend does not work as witnessed by our
- mtn pluck is not making me happy
- I lack a GUI to easily browse the repository
- I can not clean up changes before I push them!
I want that we use more branches for development, apply review on them,
land/merge/push these branches after review, pull peoples changes from other
hosts, work on perfetch patch series before landing patches. I believe we
need to deploy this kind of development in OE again and as mtn is the
obstacle to this kind of development I propose to switch to another SCM
system that allows us to develop OpenEmbedded the way it should be developed.
- Should have branches, easy merging, easy merging of merges
- Branches and merging should be cheap
- Make it easy to put the OE tree into another SCM and still be able
to merge (git-svn and such)
- A good graphical tool to browse the repository
- A good and maintained web frontend
- A good set of builtin tools (e.g. like git-add -i and git-rebase -i)
I think the two options are hg and git, I tend to favor git due the size of
its community. I want to switch OE to one of these systems by the end of this
month and start using more branches and creating perfect patch series again.